Sunday, November 12, 2006

One Thousand Gifts---initial thoughts

I saw this on a Christian Women's website and I thought, specific religious beliefs aside, what an appropriate concept for me at this particular time in my life. The seasons are changing, my mood is darkening, our finances continue to challenge us, and my life generally feels like a burden more than a gift. I hope that by working on this project over the next few weeks, I will be reminded of the blessings and gifts I already have, and maybe even learn new ways to use them.

John Milton wrote: "Gratitude bestows reverence, allowing us to encounter everyday epiphanies, those transcendent moments of awe that change forever how we experience life and the world." I am not in a place of big change in my life right now--no moves, babies, job changes, health concerns--so there is the tendency to overlook the everyday things that are also worthy of excitement, praise, and gratitude. I remember feeling slightly jealous when my friend moved away that she got to start down a new path. Intellectually, I know that I have the same opportunity every morning when I wake up, and at many times throughout the day. My spirit and heart, however, are not so convinced. Hopefully this process will help convince them to join my head in this important paradigm shift.

The Gift List is about gratitude... but it is more. It is about what defines me and my own personal identity. Maybe if I can get in touch with me again, I can regain my joie de vivre and truly begin moving forward on my journey. Actually, I am constantly moving forward, but I would like to move forward with a joyful, content spirit and heart that will sustain me during the turbulent times.

No comments: