Saturday, November 18, 2006

7 things

For the next 7 weeks, I will donate/recycle/throw away/put to use 7 things each day. By the end of this project, I will have cleared my house of 343 objects and given them new life--either in my house or with someone else. I am including "put to use" as a category because we still have boxes of pictures, artwork, and furniture that are boxed away and not being used. They are meaningful and valuable, and honoring a simpler life means displaying treasured items.

Although I am decreasing my spending dramatically for the next 18 months, I will allow myself to purchase items related to this project. For example, the pictures that need to be framed so they can be displayed--I am allowed to buy frames. the kids' artwork that needs to be displayed more lovingly--i am allowed to purchase items to create an art gallery. Within reason, I am allowed to purchase replacement items for those things which are broken, unusable, unsafe. E.g., replacing tupperware with corningware.


This is a post describing the inspiration for my new plan. I have adapted it to fit my short attention span, and to helping with my secondary goal of decorating and making my house a home.
http://clutter-queen.blogspot.com/2006/07/seven-things.html
Guidelines

Each week for a year, I will get rid of seven things. Rather than throwing these things in the
garbage, I will give them away so that they can serve a useful purpose elsewhere. Perhaps a charity can sell the goods to raise funds for the organization's good work. Maybe a friend could use the items because she doesn't have them. Maybe a freecycler is in need of something that I have and no longer use.

Reasoning

I want to focus more wholly on needing, wanting, desiring and acquiring less. It seems to me that physical clutter mirrors mental clutter. I am so overwhelmed by the enormous number of things I've kept around only because I'm afraid to get rid of them, that I'm overwhelmed by these things not only on a physical level, but also on a spiritual level. It's too much.

Documentation

I will also document this journey by taking photographs of the items and describing how long I've owned the item, why I haven't rid myself of them until now, and to whom I chose to give them. Perhaps this journey help me to become more conscious of the things in my life so that I no longer feel the need to accumulate new things.

No comments: