Monday, March 19, 2007

i am a runner

I RAN FOR 25 MINUTES TODAY!!!!
I COMPLETED 2 MILES IN THOSE 25 MINUTES!!!!
this is the result of my working out these past 3 months.
i am very excited, if you couldn't already tell. ;)

my new goal: 2 miles in 24 minutes. (once i meet this goal i will be able to meet my 5k 40:00 goal because even walking the last mile will put me in at 40 min)

i feel so good. i am so proud of myself. i really didn't think i would get here. the reality of running an entire 5k is becoming clearer and clearer.

weight loss is still important; i am on week 4 of weight loss( I hope). BUT, I am much more interested in developing my identity as a runner. the weight loss will come. my attention and focus needs to be on building my runner's body. this means incorporating strength training and stretching more consistently.

I am not going to jump too far ahead of myself here and make huge projections about what i want to do, so for now i will just concentrate on my 5k goal. i think i may ultimately revise it to 30 minutes or less, depending on how my training progresses.

Looking ahead to 2008, though, I might look toward an 8k/10k as a goal. If I am running 3 miles comfortably by fall/winter, doubling that will not be as daunting.

Given my life circumstances right now, it makes much more sense for me to bang it out at a higher intensity because i don't have the luxury of time. knowing that I can do 2 miles during M's swim class is great rather than worrying because i don't have 45 minutes to complete 3 miles.

I am a runner.
I won't proclaim myself as such publicly, but I have added a new identity to my web. And it feels good.

No comments: