Wednesday, December 27, 2006

new habit taking shape

Wow! This focus and timeliness stuff is pretty cool. I have had a really good day today, doing things I have been putting off and getting other ideas thought/planned out.

I realize that part of the reason I procrastinate around the house is that everything feels insurmountable. When I look at all the laundry that needs to be done, all the linens that need changing, the clothes that need to be mended/thrown away/donated, the dishes that need to be washed and put away, I get frustrated and don't do anything. Well beginning today, my new motto is: something is better than nothing. It doesn't matter if I only do one load of laundry, I still did something. It doesn't matter if I don't read all the articles tonight, as long as I read some everyday, I will be ok. I can't let myself get frustrated that after a long day of work, I am still not done with the two main projects I worked on. The projects may not be complete, but they are much closer to completion than they were this morning. That, my friends, is progress.

Successfully changing my behaviors and learning new habits to replace my old friend procrastination is going to be a long, but exciting road. I was so happy today putting away laundry in Leo's room because he and I spent 15 minutes reorganizing and making things more functional. We moved out the impractical piece of furniture and repurposed old storage bins for his uniforms and sports equipment. This was an especially big achievement because I did it without spending money. My excuse had always been that I would buy hooks when we got some extra money. Well, not only are we trying not to spend money, but hooks are not the only acceptable form of storage for his room.

Something else I learned today is that, at least in the beginning, my new lifestyle is going to be less time-efficient than I would like. I need to get things done as I am able/willing, which means that bundling errands and activities is going to have to wait. Maybe that will be 2008's goal. ;)

No comments: