Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Challenge Drop Out

But, a chance for redemption!

Well, I majorly flunked the Buy Nothing Challenge. I won't recap or make excuses. I just failed.

But, the chance for redemption starts now. I am joining Green Bean Dream's Bookworm Challenge. This is right up my alley. I found one book through my library's electronic books catalog, so I am reading at my laptop. (I can even highlight passages for later.) The book is Radical Simplicity and 15 pages in, I am already riveted.

Truthfully, I have been sort of an intellectual environmentalist, a green armchair quarterback. I know what I should be doing and I do do many things (reusable bags, clothesline, thrift store shopping, instituted cloth napkins and reusable cups and plates at my daughter's preschool, unplugging phantom appliances, shop at co-op/farmer's market/local independent grocery store, member of local meat co-op, joined CSA this year). BUT, these things are easy for me. I have not yet taken the next steps--reducing/eliminating car use, reducing/eliminating eating junk food, losing weight, growing my own food, and most importantly (as I'm learning from the blogging world) SPEAKING OUT. I have also not taken my beliefs and ideas into my son's public elementary school.

I am at the point where the changes I need to make are no longer invisible. They will require confrontation and explanation with my world. And that scares me. I need and want the support of the blogging community, but to get that I have to join not just as an observer, but as a participant.

No comments: